This is my pattern, Butterick 5217. I made view D, the girl in red.
This is my fabric, a very lightweight white cotton with little raised dots. It's actually the same type of fabric as my other, flowery blouse.
Here is the front:
It's pretty cute and loose. I chose it as my first modern pattern attempt in a while, since it's meant to be loose. I accidentally cut the front for a different view so it is shorter. So I tapered the front to the back, so the back would be a little longer.
I also changed the pattern to make the back button up. It's a cute detail and I like it. Yes, the buttonholes are slightly uneven, which makes the back look a little wonky. I doubt anyone who doesn't sew would notice.
The buttons are a dark teal and are ceramic. Aren't they cool? They were part of a whole bunch my aunt sent me.
I also busted out the foot hemmer to give it a try. I was inspired by Susan's blog, where she gives tutorials on using the different feet on her vintage machine, which is the same one as my machine. I practiced on a scrap for a minute or two, but I am nothing if not impatient.
As you can see, my hem is a little wonky as well, but the foot is awesome. It makes the tiniest 1/8 inch hem. The picture above is bright, since the flash caught the foot, but it spirals the fabric under, so all you need to do is feed it in straight (my problem, apparently).
At this point, having been sewing somewhat seriously for about a year now, I feel like I could call myself an "intermediate" sewer. I know how to work my machine, use different feet, make buttonholes, set a sleeve, draft my own patterns, and so on. Granted, not all of these areas are perfect, but I am making progress. I still suck at putting in zippers, but that is because I like to rush and hate basting.
Cheers to progress!!