Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Vogue 1102 pattern thoughts

I have been getting really lazy about posting pattern tips and thoughts lately and just posting pictures. Here are my thoughts on this pattern.

1. It was very quick and easy to make, especially with separate pieces for interfacing.

2. I shortened it about 4 inches and it still hits mid-knee. Granted, I am 5 feet tall, but for a summer dress I would like it to be shorter.

3. The ties are meant to just be hemmed, but I never like how that looks. I cut doubles and turned them inside out.

4. If you are short, you could probably buy a lot less fabric than it suggests. It suggests 4 yards, and I bought three. Since I shortened the pieces, I cut them on the fold because they fit, and I was left with an extra 3/4 of a yard or so.

5. The armholes are somewhat high, at least on me. I was definitely sweating on the dress itself in the front. That's part of the reason I have decided this is not the dress for the red silk.

6. It had good instructions for the narrow hem. I usually botch that, since I don't always read the directions. It says to stitch a line 1/2 inch in, then fold and press just inside of the stitching so that it is not visible. Then, sew it down and clip the excess. Maybe this is obvious to everyone else, but it was news to me and it worked very well.

That's all I can think of right now. I really like the drape of the circle skirt. I need to make more of those and quit with the dirndl skirts. Much more flattering!

Has anyone else made this and have any tips on the pattern, or making a narrow hem?

2 comments:

  1. I really like this dress!

    For the narrow hem you can also fold it up again and stitch, so there are no raw edges. For some fabrics (I've read) the extra thread helps the hem to hang nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oog, aren't dirndl skirts horrid? But they always look so good on the pattern picture. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!