Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Vogue 1161- A pretty awesome pattern!

Pattern: 
My fabric: cotton from the estate sale a few weeks ago. It has blue, yellow and burgundy flowers and stuff in patterns. (You can click on the picture to blow it up)
 Time: I have been trying to enjoy sewing as much as possible this week, since I start the restaurant training on Monday. This is not very complicated and I only had to look at the directions for turning the bodice lining, which is pretty impressive for a Vogue pattern. Maybe 3-4 hours.

 I thought to include my scary-spice pose, as it is funny and shows off what I am calling the "under-butt ruffle"
 I made this out of 1 1/4 yards fabric and 3/4 or a yard lining.
 The back has this cool knot detail, which is really pretty!

Notions: just a zipper. This is also my Molly's Ew. I dug through my drawer of zippers and found a baby blue metal one that worked. I sew in half of it by hand. I zip it up to pin the other side to match and the zipper goes flying off the end! AHHH! Please, do not be as stupid as I am. It was a zipper that closes on both ends, so I just hacked off that little stopper and did not see the consequences!!! Fortunately, Andrew somehow fixed it and saved me gallons of agony.
Cost: fabric, 1; zipper .25; lining 2.75. I love sewing! Awesome dress for 4 bucks? Awwww yeah!

So, I love this dress. I cut a 6, and while it is snug, I don't feel like a sausage. I am going to make it again soon    using the red silk Andrew brought me back from China. Wouldn't that be hot? When I make it again I am going to elongate the skirt piece to get more under-butt ruffle and take a dart out of the center neckline bodice pattern piece so that the neckline doesn't gape so much. I think all of you should buy this pattern (on sale for 2.99) and make it. It is easy and beautiful!

Go!

15 comments:

  1. That is so pretty!! I love the pattern ane the fabric...I can't wait to see it in the red silk too.
    I'm glad you used size 6, you have such a good figure and it doesn't hurt to show it off a little bit : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both the pattern and the fabric!! This dress looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. Both the dress and fabric suit you to a tee! You look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so great on you! Awesome pattern - I love the back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly, this is so cute! I'm impressed that you thought this pattern was easy and whipped it out in under 4 hours. Rock on, spice girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely Molly, very flattering shape on you! I've spotted this pattern before and swooned over it, but I'm not 100% the 'under-butt ruffle' would suit me. A version in red silk will be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so lovely! It's a great classic shape, but the back detail really makes it. I love your 'Molly's Ew' idea that you always include too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT! This is such a great dress! The bow detail at the back is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! It fits you so well and really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! Love it. If you chop off a zipper like that again, you can just sew thread thickly around the zipper teeth to make a sort of stopper at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it turned out really lovely! argh i tried this pattern... last year? i think? anyway, "tried" is the key word here bc it ended up being WAY too tight on my butt, to the point where i couldn't even get it on. ughhh worst UFO ever. i still have the orange silk - yea, mega-expensive orange silk & orange bemberg rayon ffs - stashed somewhere. i'm sure i could rework the bodice into something since that fits but i am just too traumatized to deal right now.

    love yours, though! glad it ended up fitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love this , it really makes me want to make it even more now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! This dress looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brilliant! The shape is so you! The fabric is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm working on this one right now, and yours looks great! I'm doing something wrong with turning the back lower bodice, though. Hmmm. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!