Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Cape pictures, finally!!


Here is the pattern, Simplicity 3122, from 1949. As you may know, this has been a work-in-progress for years, since 2007, in fact.


Here are some previous posts:

This project was way beyond my skill level when I embarked upon it. I can definitely say it has made me a better seamstress. I now know how to logically problem solve, make welt pockets, line a coat/outer garment and more.

Plus, it is awesome, and it is certainly something no one else has, or will ever have.

On to the photos! I took them in a cemetery near our house, and the sky is accordingly gloomy. I think it gives the pix a nice autumnal look, since its really about 60 degrees out and I have worn a jacket 2 days so far this fall.

Wearing it unbuttoned:

This was just funny to me. PS, I love these boots so much, they are awesome.
Hands in pockets, although the pockets are really tiny. If I made it again, I would make them bigger.
From the side, you can see how it gets longer in the back.
This picture shows the collar, and the awesome buttons, the armholes, and how you can see the lining in that back, which is cool because I like the color I picked.
The back has a great shape.
Look, no hands!
And, to flash you the lining:
So, what do you think? Was it worth finally finishing? I say yes, but I would love to hear your opinions!

25 comments:

  1. Super cute cape - definitely worth the time to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! I've been thinking about making a cape, but wondered how much I would wear it. Yours looks completely wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this it's so pretty . They are so in fashion right now too ( well here in the UK anyway )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about your cape is amazing, it looks so expensive and classy! What type of fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! I especially like the photo of the side view. The gloves look great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! I used wool coating from Mood. it was pricey, but worth it, since it's soft and not itchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a beautiful job and the photo shoot is perfect! I can tell you are happy that you finished it and I saw well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should be thrilled with it. It's adorable and it suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cape has such a great shape and looks so lovely on you...perfect for the coming chilly weather!
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, I am your newest follower and I just love your cape! I saw it on Burdastyle & had to come by & see. Thanks for all your pretty photos, it shows all the great details too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just saw your cape on Sew Retro , I love it !! Bravo !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty. I love cream wool! I am sure you will get many compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE it! You did such a great job. It was worth the time and worth doing it well. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your cape! The winter white is so soft and pretty. The back view photo is my favourite! Looks awesome with the tall boots.

    I already wanted to make a cape for Fall, yours is really making me want one even more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found you via Sew Retro... This is just gorgeous! And you look so cute in it! Good work, that lady.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--LOVE it! Gosh, I have about three different coats going right now, but I am seriously tempted to put them all on hold a make a cape. ;) You did a wonderful job--it is lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely worth it! It is just lovely. I love the longer length in the back. I agree about your boots, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I love your cape! I usually find them tacky but now I am wanting to dig out my cape pattern...love the color too and with the boots you look like something right out of a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Molly,

    Love you blog and love the cape you made from the Simplicity 3122 pattern. I would like to write a short post about your cape on my blog and would love permission to link to it and also use one of your photos in the blog post?

    Could you let me know if this is ok?

    You can check out my blog at:

    http://hand-quilter.blogspot.com

    Thanks,

    Sam xox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Molly,
    Just discovered your blog through a link on Tasia's blog - and wow, I LOVE your cape! It is so gorgeous!!! I'm halfway through making one myself, but it is a bit crap compared to yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
    Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
    Skype : Jobz.Corner

    ReplyDelete
  22. NICE job for an early project, as this was not an easy one. I love your blush pink on the inside.
    I also did this pattern and found that the pattern's collar was WAY too small for the piece. Clearly a mis-print. I had to design my own collar. I also made the cape longer so that I could make those pockets deeper based on your recommendation (THANK YOU!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!