Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

Butterick 5599 complete!!

I finally finished this dress! I cut a size eight and only made a few changes. I would say this is an intermediate pattern. It has a ton of pieces, but is mostly easy to put together. I only had trouble with the top band connecting to that center black part because it makes an arrow shape. 

Andrew always calls my blog Molly's Ews as a joke. You know, since it's supposed to say Molly Sews. I thought I would add a Molly's Ews section for each garment I complete, if only to show that everybody makes mistakes. 

Molly's Ews:
1. Attached top band incorrectly. Had to stare at it for several days, decide it was too goofy to live with and tear it out and re-do it.
2. Rushed before we went to the beach and decided to just sew the bodice to the skirt with no basting! So I got the job of picking out 12 stitches to an inch size stitches and then reattaching it correctly.
3. Spent a long time trying to add bra pads into it and just couldn't get it to look right. I guess this dress wants me to be flat as a board; so be it!

On to the dress. We took these pictures around Tchoupitoulas Street near an electrical substation and some abandoned warehouses. 



Excellent graffiti.

Banksy style graffiti depicting our former mayor, the idiot Ray Nagin, wearing S&M gear. 



I look dumb, but how can you pass up the triple weenie graffiti?


Sorry, I was convince Andrew was cutting my head out of this one. He said "just the dress"

Overall, I am happy with this dress. I can either wear my strapless bra, or just be 10 yr old boy chested. Oh well, go with the flow! It's nice for the summer and pretty unique. I even did a decent job lining up all the black segments. I hand-picked the zipper and did the hem by hand as well. Oh, I also did not waste the time and effort lining it, too hot! Our New Orleans "spring" is already hitting the high 90s every day and the 80s at night.

Happy Monday! Feel free to share any thoughts or comments, I love comments!

21 comments:

  1. It looks great!! Love it! Congrats*

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very flattering dress on you. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful...the dress and the dress on you! What a great photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the dress turned out. It looks crazy comfortable and perfect for summer. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Danger, danger, high voltage" is now playing through my head. Thanks a lot.
    This is one of those patterns that I totally passed by in the catalog but love it after seeing it made up by someone who doesn't work for Butterick! I love that yours feels more casual/funky. Is it a knit material?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is very cute! i too want to know if it is a knit? if it is, does it really need a zipper or could one squeeze into it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just some kind of polyester, it has a zipper in the center back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the dress pattern and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your dress looks damn good! I really want to sew this design now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute dress! Great fabric and contrast bands, and you look fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!!! And fabulous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That dress is gorgeous and it looks great on you! I just LOVE the idea of "Molly's Ews." People are often shocked when I mention aspects of my projects that I've messed up. Why do they think just because we sew, we always do it perfectly? We sewists know the truth--sometimes these garments give us a lot of trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. the fit & fabric are perfect! you did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dress looks fabulous! Great job matching the material in the back. It's so nice to hear that people in addition to me have to stare at a sewing work in progress for several days and then re do parts of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fabric! Where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  16. The fabric is from Hancock, on sale of course!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the dress and your model-y pictures! It truly shows "the adventure of the dress" :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your fabric choices. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've had this pattern in my stash for a while but it's always intimidated me with so many pieces! This looks great on you, I really like the black and dark purple fabrics together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh what choose ? im confused

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!