Perhaps you thought I didn't finish my dress in time for the wedding? Well, you would be nearly correct! I decided the night before we left that I had put it off for too long, but I gave it a shot anyways and I made it pretty quickly.
I wanted to have a very simple style because the fabric is so intense alone. It is a pale pink-grey poly tulle with tulle rosettes sewn all over it. I bought it at Jo-Ann when it was half off. I went up to Vogue fabrics in Evanston to find the right shade of Bemberg lining. One of the saleswomen was really helpful; we determined that none of the shades really matched, but she suggested going with the closest to my skin tone after I told her the style dress I was going to make. She was definitely right and it is a good match.
|At the wedding|
For the actual sewing, I made a strapless bodice from the lining using the front bodice of my Cambie pattern and the back bodice of my Lonsdale pattern, so that was easy. Then for the overlay, I used the back bodice from the Cambie pattern and just trimmed off the cap sleeves. I sewed the shoulder seams and then shaped the sides to fit without darts, since they would show through the sheer fabric. This only worked because I am so flat chested now.
|I am standing oddly, it doesn't have a big fold down the middle.|
The skirt and the lining are just one piece cut lengthwise from the fabric to avoid seams. I sewed the lining and tulle together in the side seams and attaching the skirt so it wouldn't show through. I put in a side zipper by hand on the left side and whip stitched the neckline and armholes by hand. I hemmed it on the machine and it's really not noticeable.
Here is a close-up of the fabric and you can just see the lining underneath.
Anyways, it was a fun wedding and I am happy with the dress, though I don't know when I would wear it again!