Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Sewing Club Meeting!

I don't have any pictures to post, but the first meeting of the sewing club was a success! I had about 22-23 girls come, mostly 6th graders and a few 7th graders. 8th graders are generally too cool for clubs.

We put the desks in a circle ( a sewing circle, hee hee) and discussed everyone's prior sewing experience. Most had no experience, but had moms and grandmas who sew.

Our first project was very simple. 2 pattern pieces to make cupcake shaped pin cushions. We spent a lot of time tying knots in thread, threading needles and practicing hand sewing small stitches. It was pretty funny- there were some giant and crooked stitches, and they kept stabbing themselves with the needles.

We ended with most girls having sewn the front and back pieces, so they will finish it at home and bring it next time to stuff and sew shut. I'll try to remember to take a picture! It's super cute and it was really fun!

Two weeks from today, we will make pillowcases!

3 comments:

  1. Yea, the first meeting of the sewing club. That is so cool that you had so many turn out and what a great first project, something fun and cute and useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly, It's a great idea. I saw a girl get on the bus today with safety pins obviously holding her skirt hem up and I actually KNOW people who throw stuff away if it needs a button sewn on! What a waste! Then they see something basic you sew and ask you to make one for them!! Of course the selfish Seamstress in all of us laughs and says "no".
    Good luck! www.sewdarntired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'd love to start a sewing club but all the people I know who sew are OLD ladies and they have one already. It is very formal with dues and so I never bothered.
    To comment on Summer Flies comment, I had a lady suggest once that I STAPLE my skirt hem. What?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!