Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2009

1950s Sun Dress

I got a giant bag of vintage patterns on freecycle.org and miraculously they were all my size! This pattern was adorable, and perfect for summer, so I made it first.




It is an Advance pattern 9077, size 12. It does not have a date printed on it, but it looks very 50s to me.


It was a very simple and fun dress to make. The only confusing part was that the pattern pieces did not say how mant of each to cut, so I wasted quite a bit of time pinning and repinning pieces until it all fit and made sense. I ended up cutting two of everything, and that worked out pretty well.


The measurements say 32-25-34, but I think that would make for a baggy dress. If you made it exactly like it says to, it would easily be at least one inch bigger than your measurements everywhere. Fortunately, the bodice fitting can be adjusted when you put the zipper in the back. The waist fit, but I cinched up the bust so it wouldn't gape.


My only complaint about this pattern is it did not have lines to shorten the bodice. The dress would be perfect if I had attached the skirt about half an inch higher. But I am very short, so that would not be an issue for most people.


Overall, it is a beautiful dress, it fits very well and is perfect for summer here in New Orleans (with the gathered and lined bodice, you can easily skip a bra). I can totally see making this again in a different fabric- easy and cute!



The fabric is a bright purple with tiny white polka dots, not blue like in the pix.

I have bought the fabric for my next dress- and I think I will start it tonight.

15 comments:

  1. Hello! I saw your entry on Sew Retro. Just wanted to let you know that I admire your talent

    ReplyDelete
  2. a whole bag of free vintage patterns AND in your size?!? Wow! Lucky duck. The dress turned out terrific. The purple really suits your beautiful reddish hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful. Absolutely love the dress!

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, I cant wait to see your next project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your dress on sew retro and fell in love with it....I am searching for the pattern...with no luck ;(

    ReplyDelete
  6. GORGEOUS! You did a beautiful job with this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a lovely job with the dress. Is there any chance you'd be willing to part with the pattern? I've been looking for this particular pattern for MONTHS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you still looking? I am posting one on ebay today - size 14 if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Molly, it looks beautiful! I am actually hunting for this exact pattern at the moment but cannot find it anywhere. Would you be willing to sell the pattern/a photocopy or tracing of it? Please email me at laura.payne@me.com if you would be willing to discuss this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous dress. Very Betty Draper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If anyone is willing to part with their pattern, or even just willing to scan and scale the pieces and get them to me, I would be EXTREMELY grateful!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are 7 years too late Sarah but we can :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I would appreciate that so much! If you see this please email jennybot7@yahoo.com

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  12. I just purchased this patter and super excited to try-have you made it with patterns that need to be matched - if so how munch more fabric did you need?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yet another person looking for this pattern :) Anyone willing to sell their copy or even just send a traced copy would be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!