Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Help me choose bridesmaid fabric!!

As the time crunch to the wedding begins, I need to buy the fabric for the two bridesmaid dresses. If you recall, I am making one for Stephanie and my mom is going to make Vicky's, as they live in the same town. I have made a muslin and fitted it on Stephanie (oh of the Cambie dress pattern). I had just been putting off finding and buying fabric. Finally making time to go to Fishman's (which took no time at all due to little traffic) I was ablle to go and gawk and rub all of the fancy and delightful fabrics there. They are a little pricey, but some of the fabrics were outstanding. 

The colors are really my problem; it is a spring wedding and I chose light green and lavender as my colors. I think my level of coordination piddles out after invites and flowers, but you get the idea. I was just having a terrible time finding nice fabric in light green anywhere. I scoffed at my mom's suggestion of looking at silk dupioni two weeks ago (sorry, Mom! ) but then Fishman's had the best selection of colors that I wanted in dupioni. I think it might actually be nice. It has a little form, some texture and just a little sheen without being shiny and awful. 

I got an employee, who couldn't give two shits about me and was very cranky, to cut me some swatches. Apparently you can get 8 for free. Here are the four I chose for finalists. They are all silk dupioni in various pastels. 
 Left to right: light celery, lavender, spring green, seafoam green (on the table)
 Left to right: seafoam, spring green, lavender, celery (on white muslin for color contrast)
Left to right: celery, lavender, spring green and seafoam. (close-up)

I need to buy the fabric soon and finish the dress by the end of January, plus mail the fabric to my mom for Vicky's dress.

Help me decide, please!!!!

23 comments:

  1. Maybe hold swatches up to the girls skin tone to see if that helps? And consider their hair color as well. Then just go with your gut instinct to pick! I'm sure they will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, one is Oregon and one is in New Orleans..and I am in Chicago...

      Delete
  2. I also put in a vote for lavender or spring green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for lavender and spring green but I agree with soisewedthis to match to the girls skin tones and hair colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask the bridesmaids? They probably know what colors they can wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yeah they get have input too! lol, I am not Bridezilla!

      Delete
  5. I will echo the others and say lavender and spring green - however, that spring green will work on cooler toned skin better and the seafoam on warm toned skin. Just a thought ;-)
    I agree with seeing what they look like against people's skin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like,spring green, celery, lavender, and lastly seafoam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think lavendar or spring green too. but then i do have a lavendar cambie myself so i might be biased...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the lavender and the spring green the best. But I'd check to see how the colours look on your bridesmaids in case the colours clash with their skin tone or something.

    ETA: Haha looks like I'm in consensus with everyone else here. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do against the grain, I like sea foam and celery the most! (I'm no help at all!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lavender or spring green. The celery looks too close to white I think. I would personally go for the seafoam but it is very blue, not so much green.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm in the minority, I like the seafoam. But I'm terrible at visualising the final product from a swatch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would pick either the lavender or spring green, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Considering the bridesmaids hair and eye color, both brown right? and I know what Vicky's skin tone is like but not Stephanie's I think the lavender would be best (?) what do you think...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have seen some lovely bridesmaid photos where each girl is in a different similar colour dress, but tied together with style, or flowers. All four samples work together and could easily coordinate with your theme. Then the guys match with the girls via pocket hankies etc!
    Our local fabric shop actually now charges for samples, with a minimum cut of 10cm - the good old days are certainly long gone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Judith's suggestion is actually what I did for my wedding! I had four girls who all had the same dress, but in 4 different colors. I love how all four look next to each other!

    But...if I had to choose only one...I like the seafoam!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lavender!

    And what on earth did that woman use to cut the swatches?! Her teeth? That is a pretty bad cut job lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!