Sunday, December 26, 2010

A hand-picked zipper

The pictures are a little blurry since they're from the ipod. My mom helped me finish my lingering purple dress from November and rip out the zipper on my red velvet dress and re-do it. Although, after doing it again on the machine, it still was lumpy and noticeable. So Mom helped me with hand sewing the hem on the puple dress and I finally tried a hand picked zipper.

I thought doing a zipper by hand would be a gigantic PITA, but it turned out to be a piece of cake. You only need to know how to do a pick stitch. I guess I'm a convert; it looks great!!!
It gives you big stitches on the inside, but the zipper is totally secure! Wow!
There's lots of tutorials around for learning this technique- I used the one from Threads here.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas- I'm having a great time in Oregon with my family!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan to me. I hate my zipper foot - it always wrecks that last row of stitching. This could be the way to go. Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand insertion works well - I did it on the baby's velvet dress for Christmas as well as my size zip.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!