Sunday, January 17, 2010

2009 Frankenstein Dress

I went to Jo-Ann looking for some cute cotton to make this awesome pattern up for the first time. It's from Eva dress, there is a link to the site on the left of the blog. It's a new pattern for a 57 Claire McCardell dress- it looks so elegant and cute with the giant bow.

However, since I moved, I haven't been getting my coupons for 50% off, and this dress needs 4 and 7/8th yards. Yikes.

I saw this fabric....
and I really liked it, but there were only 2 yards left. So I decided I would Frankenstein together 2 patterns I already knew needed less than 2 yards and would fit perfectly. It came together super quickly and easily. The top is from this(black and white dress), and the bottom is from this(zebra print dress).
Look Mom, I even attempted a real hem! (Since at Christmas she told me my idea of "hemming" by hand is really every one else's idea of "basting." LOL) The stitches are still over 1/4 of an inch, but Rome was not built in a day, people!

Finished dress! Soon I will add some on-a-person photos. The only oopsie was the woman at Jo-Ann didn't give me a cut fabric ticket, she just rushed me to the register, so I had to run and get a zipper and thread. I grabbed a 14 inch zipper, which worked last time, but I changed the side zipper to a back zipper. So the waist is still pretty tight and I have to squirm and tug it over my head instead of stepping into it. Meh. Not a big prob.

Time to go make French onion soup!! YUM!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I can't wait for the picture of you wearing it! The hemming looks very good, I'm glad you used smaller stictches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!