Due to the fake-hurricane Ida, I got a three day weekend- a hurrication (hurricane + vacation, everyone uses it, I can't claim I made it up). I already had gone to Jo-Anns the weekend before, so I was ready to sew.
This is the fabric, a black cotton with wavy lines of tiny circles in white. I thought it would be perfect for the pattern, which is for a striped dress with stripes in 2 directions.
The pattern is Simplicity 3914, for a cute dress with short sleeves and a full skirt. The pattern is undated, but it looks very 50s- early 60s to me. The girls on the front have pig noses and are pretty scary. If you love the pattern and are insane, you can buy it here for $55. Yikes. I made an 11, which is for a 31'' bust. I was afraid it would be too tight, but it has a nice ease. It's perfect for a work dress. The pattern calls for 4 3/4 yards, but I bought 4 and it was fine. Luckily.
Sewing up the pattern was fast and easy. I am proud that I set the sleeves in perfectly, since that is the second time i have ever done set-in sleeves.
My only caution: I thought the darts looked overly long, and I was right. I had to pick them out and shorten them. It created a 80s Madonna cone-boob look, which was very ugly. So if you make it, shorten the darts.
I wish it had pockets, but since it is a three piece dirndl skirt, I don't know how that would work. Oh, also I made the sash from view 1 and 3. It looks nice.
(The dog trying to ruin my picture)
All in all, a cute dress! Plus, I probably made the whole thing in 3-5 hours, including cutting. it was really easy. And that includes an hour sewing the hem by hand inf ront of the tv.