Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Doggy Sweater, but fleece

I bought this pattern a year or two ago at a garage sale. It was $1. It has patterns for three sizes of dog beds and jackets. Since it has been abnormally cold in New Orleans the last week or two, it seemed like the wiener dog could use a jacket.
None of those dogs look very happy.
Ball-chasing action



Sewing notes:
The pattern wanted you to bind all of the edges with seam binding. Not only does that seem tedious, I made it out of polar fleece, so I wanted all of it to be soft.
Instead, I made it reversible- one side is red, one side it zebra print- and then top-stitched all edges so it would lay flat and not slide around. It closes with Velcro.
Adjustments:
I extended the chest closure straps by about 2 inches on each side. T-Rex has a barrel chest.
Next time:
When I make this again (which I will since it took me about 45 minutes to make and is really cute) I will probably extend the sides 2-3 inches so it wraps him more. I would also make it about 4-5 inches longer. Right now, it doesn't cover all of his long body.

Notes:
1. I made a medium and it is tiny. If you are making this for a big dog, I would make the pattern much much bigger.
2. The dog mas been wearing it all morning and he looks adorable. In fact, HE JUST WENT AND ADMIRED HIMSELF IN THE MIRROR! hahaha. Seriously.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Of course he admired himself in the mirror - he is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T-Rex is so cute in his new reversible jacket--he knows he is loved, his Mom made it for him!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!