Monday, November 30, 2009

Simplicity 3712



This is my pattern. I made the red skirt, view 2. The little vest thing is called a weskitt, apparently. Not my style, so to speak. Haha.

The pattern was super simple, but that didn't stop me!! (from ruining the skirt) The hem looks even in the picture, but the stitching puckered the fabric and is terribly obvious.

Look at this monstrosity of a zipper! Ugh. I am not interested in taking it out and fixing it, however. The waistband is nice, and I made the buttonhole by hand, so it looks okay.

The skirt had a flattering shape, and if I make it again it will turn out better. I would not make seams going up and down the center front and back. Especially with this gabardine crap I bought because I liked the color. It falls in the wrong places. I would also make a side zipper. With the length of the zipper and the seam down the back, it is too drapey in the butt/back of legs.

Well, live and learn. Next time, with a different type of fabric, it could be a pretty skirt.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Extra Bonus

Image:Simplicity_1818_56.jpg
I was starting a new project (a skirt) and while unfolding the pieces I found the big front and back pieces for these pants stuffed in the envelope for the skirt.

Extra bonus pattern for a waist 26. Too bad the pants are a little too old lady for my taste.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Advance 8171

I googled this pattern online, but nothing else came up. I guess it hasn't made its way to the internet yet. From what I read here, it probably is from the late 50's. It's Advance American Designer by Mr. John Couturier Boutique (lol) 8171. I made view 2 (center) because I did not like the matronly fan in the back.

The fabric is a black synthetic silk shantung look. I bought it at JoAnn's quite a while ago. I meant to use it for a one sleeve dress that I wanted to copy out of Vogue. Fortunately, I am over that idea, and decided to use the fabric for this.

1. I haven't used an Advance pattern for a while, so I had forgotten how brief the instructions are. I think I ended up reading them several times. They were confusingly short.

2. While I made a 12 (32-25-34), I fit the whole thing on my dummy. This worked perfectly for the last dress, which I only tried on when it was done and it fit perfectly. This was not true this time. I did not anticipate that the back cutouts went so low, so when you put it on, it's impossible to wear even a strapless bra. From the ribs down, it fit like a sausage casing and then at the top it gaped like four inches.

3. If you are petite, I would shorten the bodice somewhere, although there are no lines on the pattern for that.

4. In the end, I took in the bust about 2 inches on each side under the pleats, and folded down the neckline another inch or two and tacked it down. The bodice fits weirdly and looks awkward. Note the lack of close-ups.
While somewhat matronly, it's not a terrible dress. I guess it could be for a party- a cocktail party. The waist is really tight, so I would have to drink liquor and not eat- there's no give!

Monday, November 9, 2009

Simplicity 3914 - Black and White Day Dress

Due to the fake-hurricane Ida, I got a three day weekend- a hurrication (hurricane + vacation, everyone uses it, I can't claim I made it up). I already had gone to Jo-Anns the weekend before, so I was ready to sew.
This is the fabric, a black cotton with wavy lines of tiny circles in white. I thought it would be perfect for the pattern, which is for a striped dress with stripes in 2 directions.
The pattern is Simplicity 3914, for a cute dress with short sleeves and a full skirt. The pattern is undated, but it looks very 50s- early 60s to me. The girls on the front have pig noses and are pretty scary. If you love the pattern and are insane, you can buy it here for $55. Yikes. I made an 11, which is for a 31'' bust. I was afraid it would be too tight, but it has a nice ease. It's perfect for a work dress. The pattern calls for 4 3/4 yards, but I bought 4 and it was fine. Luckily.

Sewing up the pattern was fast and easy. I am proud that I set the sleeves in perfectly, since that is the second time i have ever done set-in sleeves.

My only caution: I thought the darts looked overly long, and I was right. I had to pick them out and shorten them. It created a 80s Madonna cone-boob look, which was very ugly. So if you make it, shorten the darts.

I wish it had pockets, but since it is a three piece dirndl skirt, I don't know how that would work. Oh, also I made the sash from view 1 and 3. It looks nice.

(The dog trying to ruin my picture)



All in all, a cute dress! Plus, I probably made the whole thing in 3-5 hours, including cutting. it was really easy. And that includes an hour sewing the hem by hand inf ront of the tv.