Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Actually working on Vogue 755 coat!

I pulled that coat out of the drawer it lives in and am working on it! I started this coat when we lived in New Orleans over five years ago and have since gotten married, had a baby who is almost two, gotten laid off and rehired, etc. Here is post detailing my (lack of) progress so far: click here!

 Here is the long ago pattern for a coat dress. I lengthened the sleeves.

After some careful consideration, I have decided to not do the collar and cuff detail. The wool is too thick and the cuffs I made looked costume-like and awful. That was the point I stopped before it got shoved back in the drawer.  I added the facings, although they haven't been pressed or anything; the ironing board is still on the back porch because we put the Xmas tree in the dining room. 

I think it looks vintage, in an elegant way right now. The cuff and contrast collar put it over the top into the range of vintage clothes that I don't like anymore. When I started the coat, I was happy to sew vintage patterns and wear them no matter how silly they looked (and my middle school students were super enthusiastic!). I am older now and it's not my jam anymore. 

 The back darts and the pockets at the waist did not line up perfectly. I was annoyed with Past Molly and her lazy sewing, until I took them all out numerous times and tries to fix them. The left pocket is 90% better as well as the left dart. The right dart is still a little off, but it was the best I can do. The right pocket is improved, but still far from perfect. There are so many layers of heavy (underlined) wool that my poor Singer (a champ of a machine) can barely press through it and it was absolutely infuriating. So, I will live with imperfection.


I ordered plum Bemberg lining from Vogue Fabrics and am waiting for it to arrive.

Two hopes for tips:

1.Bagging a lining - Can you believe I have never done that? I rarely make jackets and I think I hand sewed the whole cape lining which was horrific. Tips? Good tutorials?

2. Online resources for buttons for this coat. I am kind of thinking brass or metal with a vintage feel? I am going to simplify the number of buttons down from 15. Cost is not really a large factor because they are the focal point of the coat.

Happy New Year to you all!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey welcome back. Happy new year too. No tips sorry. I 'bagged' a coat years (only 7) ago but that was before I had heard of sewing blogs and just winged it. It's not 100% but it's ok. Good on you for redoing some of previous Molly's sewing. Don't know if I would have done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you need to do is choose the one that best suits you and you will look as beautiful as you will wish to do on your wedding day.glamchase prom dresses leeds shops reviews
    http://www.glamchase.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need Personal Loan?
    Business Cash Loan?
    Unsecured Loan
    Fast and Simple Loan?
    Quick Application Process?
    Approvals within 24-72 Hours?
    No Hidden Fees Loan?
    Funding in less than 1 Week?
    Get unsecured working capital?
    Contact Us At : gaincreditloan1@gmail.com
    Whatsapps +1-(551) 356-3808 (call/WhatsApp)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the knowledgeable blog with us I hope that you will post many more blog with us:-
    This is one of our best quality products and you can buy this products online which helps to relief pain,depression, heart attacks, cancer and more
    Email: info@buymushroomonline.com, visit our site buy mushroomonline.com
    buy mdma pills online

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!