Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Vintage Pledge 2015 Skirt- 1940s Advance 2469




I didn't even technically make a vintage pledge for 2015, since I was already huge and pregnant in January and I had somewhat low expectations for how much sewing I would get done. That eventually was lowered down to nearly zero.

Kerry of Kestrel Makes did ask me early in the year to do one of the pattern stash interviews and being an experienced mom, she let me put it off until the fall. I delusionally expected to get it done during my maternity leave. Ha. I was featured in December. I now can see I have some serious pattern hoarding (and finding) contenders in the Chicago area like Tasha, Michelle, and Liz. They have some awesome patterns.

Anyways, this was my first sewing project for post-baby Molly for 2015. Let me take you way back in my time machine to around September. I was back at work and I though about making a skirt. I had a huge piece of plaid flannel-feeling fabric from the year before that I bought at Jo-Ann- I think they are called Plaiditudes.

I wanted to use Advance 2469, view 1 with the cool pockets. Right after school started, I had not lost the last ten baby pounds so I knew I needed to increase the waist from the 24 of the pattern to the 28 of my current size. This pattern is from the 40s and is completely unmarked; it just has the holes of various sizes for marking and you figure it out.
From the Vintage Pattern Wiki
Okay, so just to recap, after having a baby and not sewing anything for myself nearly a year, I decided that my first project back should include:
  1. Grading a pattern, which I rarely do
  2. Matching plaid, which I suck at
  3. Using an unmarked pattern from the 40s

Great, can you see where this is heading? lol

Let's start with grading the pattern. You know, I added a half-inch to the outside of each piece and it does correspond accordingly. It's just that at work, I am always on my feet as the co-teacher walking around the room and helping students. So after going back to work, those ten pounds melted away and I am back at my original weight (though jiggly). So the skirt doesn't fit and I can't take it in because of the....
Front
 Attempt at matching plaid! This plaid has a somewhat weird repeat and I had a really hard time trying to match it while cutting on the bias. I did a fairly good job cutting it out, but the fabric is thick and I still don't have a walking foot. So in places the layer fed unevenly and the plaid is slightly off. I am not sure why I thought bias cut skirt + plaid = magic in the first place... so if I took it in along the side seams, the plaid matching would be off by even more and would be super visible.
Plaid close-up
 The pockets are the cool feature of this pattern and they are really unique. They are only sewn on in one row of stitching under the flap. So the pocket bag and the flap are both floating.
Floating pockets

 With a baby and a full-time job, finishing this took a few weeks. The thought of then hemming it by hand was just too much. I rustled through my notions and found some vintage, black, iron-on hem tape and I went to town! It worked as advertised and it gave the hem a little more volume, a little like horsehair braid dialed down a bit.
Vintage, iron-on hem tape
 The back lined up fairly well in regards to the plaid. For some reason, like forgetting how to sew after such a long break, I thought it would be smart to use an invisible zipper. I don't have an IZ foot, so I just used a regular foot. This led to the infamous bottom-of-the-zipper-poof where it looks like "maybe that lady has a tail? under her skirt?"
back
 Probably should have reinforced the waistband with something too...

I can't blame the pattern really. Using an unmarked pattern just expected a little too much of my skills/memory after such a long break from sewing anything slightly complicated for myself. I think the last thing I made for myself was the same maternity pattern three times before Christmas of last year...

Anyways, I will just donate it I guess. Commiserate with me, maybe? Oh well, you live, you learn as the great Alanis Morisette once said. lol

To part, here is a picture of Max at City Park in New Orleans just after Xmas. He's sitting in a oak tree being adorable!
10 months!

8 comments:

  1. Nice to see you sewing Molly! I love that pattern, but feel your pain re tartan! Max is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you sewing Molly! I love that pattern, but feel your pain re tartan! Max is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a plaid, bias cut 70s does 40s skirt with the same issue. I actually took it apart and it is languishing in a box somewhere. It is too bad, because your pattern looks really cute! But I bet you'll sew better things soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a cool pattern, maybe I will try it again someday!

      Delete
  4. I really like your skirt, maybe you should do a giveaway on your blog rather than donating it?
    Max really is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. if u want a magic grim by of ,u need to go to u will find your own dress. jadegownshop modest evening dresses maxi reviews
    http://www.jadegownshop.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!