Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2015

A Breastfeeding Wardrobe: Advice Plz!

Since having Max three (!) months ago, I am mostly back to normal physically. I am only ten pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight, so that's good! I have started going to yoga again and working on toning up.

Being slightly larger than before and also breastfeeding is making me reevaluate my wardrobe. I bought some new jeans since my old ones don't fit anymore, which was great. That made it so I had more than just leggings to wear and made me feel more like a human again! I got rid of a garbage bag full of clothes that are either too small or won't work with breastfeeding. Now I need a summer wardrobe that will work.

Mostly everything I have seen online is nursing tank tops with the hooks, button downs, and wrap tops or dresses. I am just wondering if you ladies have any tips for nursing through the summer months? What are some essential pieces that I should buy? Summer is so short here, I think I could easily get by with less than ten "outfits".

I also want to try to sew a few items (maybe three?) as well. I think the Camas blouse by Thread Theory with either short or no sleeves would work very well. I saw a cute button down sleeveless dress on Instagram, I know it was an indie pattern, but I forgot the name... Any other recommendations for patterns that would work and be quick and easy to sew?

And to leave on a funny note, I saw Gertie released a new pattern:
Link here
All I could think was "You could turn view A into a nursing top if you cut two holes under the ties" How funny would that be? :)

12 comments:

  1. My son's named Max (Maxwell) too! When I was nursing, I would wear a stretchy tank top underneath a normal shirt. Then I would pull up the normal shirt, and pull the tank down below my boob, unhook the nursing bra, and then voila! Feeding Station! It was relatively demure, but when in public, I would use a nursing cover. I hated "nursing" shirts. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would work too, but is it too hot in the summer with the double shirts?
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. According to my Pinterest page
    Vogue 8645

    Vogue 1250 I simply cut this into a top and made the cowl one size larger to have easier access. I made this twice and wore them constantly.

    I made vogue 1027 as a maternity top, it was a great dress for breastfeeding too.


    Colette parfait easy access and nice pattern too!

    I hope that helps! There are plenty of sewing (breastfeeding suitable patterns) on Pinterest if you look, but it might take a while!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will look into those and see what goes on sale at JoAnns!

      Delete
  3. Jalie 3132 nursing tops and T's . It has the split front. I will be making some for my daughter's in law. You can get most of their patterns in paper or PDF.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never used a Jalie pattern, maybe I will try them!

      Delete
    2. I've made these too, great tee's and not overly complicated. Jalie patterns are good, and you get 22 sizes in most patterns!!

      Delete
  4. Jalie 2787 is a nice top with easy nursing access. A generation ago, when I needed such things, I nursed wearing a tee shirt and just pulled it up enough for access. It was discrete enough with the baby in front of me and the tee resting on the baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my stretchy V neck tops from target certainly work for that!

      Delete
  5. Hi Molly, I didn't really bother with the button front thing while breastfeeding as I found it could to too exposing. I preferred a looser top style where I could unhook the nursing bra then stick the baby underneath my top. This way I think you can get away with wearing 'normal' loose tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Jocole crossover dress/tunic is great for nursing. Simplicity 1469 is also a great pattern.
    I liked anything that I could easily pull down to nurse. My daughter didn't like being under things and I never worried about what people thought. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let us buy sexy dresses glamgown la chateau dresses canada reviews for big day. So many stunning dresses here. which dress should you choose for party? glamgown party wedding dresses reviews
    https://www.glamgown.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!